Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ready the Crimson Faces!


This first post is dedicated to Ande Payne, because she initiated the thought of blogging, which I appreciate because sometimes I write things that I think someone ought to see.  Words never read are sad little things.


Replaying for me in my mind recently have been some of my more famous embarrassments.  


-I once sneezed snot all over my hands and face while sitting with a group of early-morning seminary students about to eat breakfast.  


-In third grade I delayed visiting the bathroom until it was too late.  Standing at the head of the class at my teacher's desk, my pants flooded.  Mrs. Foresburg looked confused.  I was pissed.


-Running at seven-year-old top speed, I smashed directly into a concrete pole while a goose simultaneously laid an egg on my forehead.


-With smirking faces, two fashionable girls in a higher grade approached me as an eighth-grader  while clad in my embarrassing running shorts in front of a large crowd at a track meet, claiming to have met me at "summer camp" the year before.  I had never been to anything of the sort.  I didn't know what to say.  "I don't remember you," I said.  They wouldn't stop.  Their large and muscled guy friends strutted up and said things.  I felt trapped and I knew the whole world was looking at me like a doomed gladiator.  I walked away and sat by myself with them still shouting.  I looked up at the sky and envisioned planes carrying atomic bombs from of the clouds, long falls, explosions, and me sitting safely because of paid tithing.  I came in last in each of my runs.


The first three were embarrassing anomalies, but the fourth was a way of life.  Luckily I haven't had many truly embarrassing moments in a long time, mostly because I don't care as much what people think about me (emphasizing the AS MUCH part):


-Adam Pingel and I stood next to each other a particular day last semester for an improv rehearsal.  The group was about to play a counting game that required us to grasp hands.  As we did, our director began making a few more preliminary comments and everyone dropped their hands to wait.  Adam and I had inexplicably linked fingers, so that as we shifted our attention away from the game, our hands remained gently interlocked.  We stood for a solid minute in unconscious romance before some unseen force whispered in both of our ears---we looked at one another and exploded into laughing.  So awkward.  So funny.

4 comments:

  1. AH JACOB!!! I LOVE IT! I love that you started a blog. I love that it was dedicated to me. I love the awkward tender moment between you and Adam. I love your writing. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ande! I'm glad it's to your tastes. The world of blogging does seem pretty wonderful so far--I've yet to pee my pants here, anyway. I expect to have my mind blown by a substantial post on your European adventures upon your return. Your writing takes my cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petey, Jacob whichever you prefer, I loved this blog post. I'm Ande's mom and she told me to make sure I checked out your blog. I'm so glad I did. And, to think you'd start with your most embarrassing moments, now that takes courage....I can't wait to read more of what you write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane it's good to meet you and I'm glad you enjoy it so far. Ande's abnormally cool, and I guess I should credit you for that, since you're her mom and all. :) I checked out your own blog and was also glad to've done it--looks like all the Paynes have a knack for writing about life from interesting and entertaining standpoints. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete